PREP + COOK TIME = 4 HOURS 30 MINUTES ( + REFRIGERATION) SERVES 6
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) dark stout
- ¾ cup (180ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 fresh small red chillies, chopped finely
- ¼ cup (70g) wholegrain mustard
- beef short spare ribs (1-2kg), sliced thickly
1. Combine stout, sugar, vinegar, chilli and mustard in 2/3 cup (150g) firmly packed dark brown sugar in a medium bowl; stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour mixture over ribs in a glass or ceramic dish; toss to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
3. Place ribs and marinade in a flameproof baking dish; cover with foil or a lid. Cook in oven for 3 hours 30 minutes. Remove foil or lid; cook a further 1 hour or until meat is tender and almost falling of the bone.Transfer ribs to a platter; cover to keep warm.
4. Place baking dish on stove top over low-medium heat; bring marinade mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thick and syrupy.
5. Serve ribs with reduced sauce.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a watercress and baby fennel salad.