1kg diced chuck
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium brown onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
½ tsp black mustard seeds (brown is okay)
Fresh chilli chopped and deseeded (totally optional)
½ jar Pataks Vindaloo curry paste (or more if you think it needs it)
1-2 cups tomato passata or tin of diced tomatoes
Basmati rice to serve
Serve with plain yoghurt and sweet mango chilli as an accompaniment if a little too spicy!
1. Heat large casserole pan or saucepan on medium setting and add vegetable oil, onion, garlic, mustard seeds and chilli (if using). Cook until onion softens and mustard seeds start to pop.
2. Add Vindaloo curry paste and cook until fragrant.
3. Increase heat and add diced beef. Stir until browned or the meat has sealed.
4. Add tomato passata or tinned tomato and stir to combine really well.
5. Bring to boil then simmer gently for 30 minutes or until meat is lusciously tender but not too soft.
We make ours in the pressure cooker to speed things up. Cook for around 15-20 minutes. You can also make this recipe in the slow cooker.