- 2-4 large pieces beef osso buco
- ¼ cup plain flour, seasoned
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 6 star anise
- 160ml (2/3 cup) teriyaki marinade
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, lightly crushed (or regular pepper corns)
- Long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped + extra, sliced, if desired
- Brown rice to serve
- Asian greens to serve
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced)*. Pat osso buco dry with paper towel.
2. Place flour in a large snap lock bag, add beef and toss to coat. Heat oil in large casserole dish over medium-high heat.
3. Cook meat for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned all over.
4. Add ginger, star anise, teriyaki marinade, peppercorns, chilli and enough water to just cover the meat.
5. Season with pepper, cover and cook in oven for 2-2 hours 15 minutes or until meat is tener and just coming off the bone.
6. Remove meat from sauce and set aside on a plate loosely covered with foil. Place sauce over medium- low heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens.
7. Prepare rice according to instructions.
8. Serve osso buco with sauce, rice, steamed Asian greens and extra chilli, if desired.
*We make this in our pressure cooker. It speeds things up! 20-25 minutes will be all you need for it to be wonderfully falling off the bone but if you like your meat super soft, go for 30 minutes.